Nevin Manimala Statistics

Investigating the Bond Strength of FRP Rebars in Concrete under High Temperature Using Gene-Expression Programming Model

Polymers (Basel). 2022 Jul 24;14(15):2992. doi: 10.3390/polym14152992.


In recent times, the use of fibre-reinforced plastic (FRP) has increased in reinforcing concrete structures. The bond strength of FRP rebars is one of the most significant parameters for characterising the overall efficacy of the concrete structures reinforced with FRP. However, in cases of elevated temperature, the bond of FRP-reinforced concrete can deteriorate depending on a number of factors, including the type of FRP bars used, its diameter, surface form, anchorage length, concrete strength, and cover thickness. Hence, accurate quantification of FRP rebars in concrete is of paramount importance, especially at high temperatures. In this study, an artificial intelligence (AI)-based genetic-expression programming (GEP) method was used to predict the bond strength of FRP rebars in concrete at high temperatures. In order to predict the bond strength, we used failure mode temperature, fibre type, bar surface, bar diameter, anchorage length, compressive strength, and cover-to-diameter ratio as input parameters. The experimental dataset of 146 tests at various elevated temperatures were established for training and validating the model. A total of 70% of the data was used for training the model and remaining 30% was used for validation. Various statistical indices such as correlation coefficient (R), the mean absolute error (MAE), and the root-mean-square error (RMSE) were used to assess the predictive veracity of the GEP model. After the trials, the optimum hyperparameters were 150, 8, and 4 as number of chromosomes, head size and number of genes, respectively. Different genetic factors, such as the number of chromosomes, the size of the head, and the number of genes, were evaluated in eleven separate trials. The results as obtained from the rigorous statistical analysis and parametric study show that the developed GEP model is robust and can predict the bond strength of FRP rebars in concrete under high temperature with reasonable accuracy (i.e., R, RMSE and MAE 0.941, 2.087, and 1.620, and 0.935, 2.370, and 2.046, respectively, for training and validation). More importantly, based on the FRP properties, the model has been translated into traceable mathematical formulation for easy calculations.

PMID:35893956 | DOI:10.3390/polym14152992

By Nevin Manimala

Portfolio Website for Nevin Manimala